Thursday, November 24, 2011

Veggie Chili & Baked Sweet Potatoes

My new obsession is making a huge pot of veggie chili and baking a ton of sweet potatoes and chopping up some fixings.

Chili is like cholent, but in my opinion WAY better!

I used whatever dry beans I have around and soak them overnight. Then in the morning I saute onion and garlic then add in the beans with the water they have been soaking in and more water if necessary. Let them cook till partially cooked and geting soft, then add in seasonings: salt, chili powder, cumin, dry coriander and what ever else tickles your fancy. Add in veggies: carrots, zucchini, bell peppers, jalapeno, tomatoes and/or tomato paste, etc.. let in cook a bit longer. (The bell peppers and zucchini I tend to add in later as they get soft quickly. When its closer to being done I add in some kind of grain: bulgar, barley, brown rice. My favorite is bulgar, it gives it a bit of a ground beef texture which is good for those meat eaters. Let is simmer for a while till nice and cooked.

In the meantime I scrub a bunch of little sweet potatoes and throw them in the oven right on the rack and lt them bake till soft. Note they will make a mess in the bottom of the oven with sugar liquid that cooks out of them.

Then when I am ready to serve it I slice the sweet potato open just like a plain old baked potato and top with the chili, shredded cheese, salsa, chopped red onion, green onion, jalapeno, sour cream, and crushed tortilla chips and whatever else sounds yummy.

This saves well and is great for quick leftovers.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! You can also slice off the ends of the sweet potatoes, wrap in foil and put in the oven. If will save your oven floor and cook faster.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete